Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up virtual server where Apache has url directed to IIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAHMom

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
US
We have a client website where they are forwarding traffic from their Apache server to our IIS server and we need to mask the url so it looks like it is the client's site.

Currently the client has traffic directed via a frame, but right clicking and looking at the properties of course shows visitors that it is actually our website. To make matters more confused, the web server is located at our corporate office and we are trying to get this figured out without involving their IT people unless absolutely necessary. We do have some access to the server which may be enough to keep them out of the loop.

What I am thinking we need to do is to have the Apache server set up with IP based virtual hosting. But then we need to get the IP addresses from the IIS server for the specific page and update the DNS record.

Am I on the right track?

Nope. IP based virtual hosting involves multiple IPs on their Apache server, where each IP hosts a different site.

Hmmmm....OK....Then how can we accomplish this between these two servers?

It seems the Apache server, which is directing the traffic via a distinct url to us (i.e. offsite.abcompany.com with "offsite" being the trigger that sends it to us), will need to know where to send the traffic without showing the ending url. Doesn't IIS need to be involved in this process to keep the IIS destination url masked?

Or should this all be directed on the Apache forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back