Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up the SMTP Server as a mail Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP1

Programmer
Jan 15, 2002
NO
Hi,
I have Windows 2000 profesional edition running and have IIS installed. I would like to know if I can setup the SMTP server as a Mail server which can recieve and send mails. An then if I can use outlook express to read and send mails to this server. If so could you please give me the required steps.

Thanks,
Gavin

oi,

i want the same thing, and i assume you/we also need to setup POP3.. did you get any replies yet ?

--
rgds,
rb.

Sorry I still havent got any....

too bad.. posted the same question somewhere here in the forum & in another forum, but either no one wants to help us <hehe> or they don't know.

--
regards,
rb.

Hey!
I am looking into doing the same sort of thing but don't know how. Is there any other email prgrams we can use or do we have to use SMTP server?

Please email me if you get any information or website I can go to for this procedure.
THanks in advance,
- NOnoy

oi~

there are plenty of email-server programs.. never the less i can't get any to work yet :}
i'm now &quot;playing&quot; with NetCplus SmartServer ( also unsuccesfully sofar.

ps. on no forum did i receive an answer yet :]

If im understanding you correctly, you can use the IIS SMTP but it will only deliver your email into a folder in a text format. All your email gets send to c:\Inetpub\mailroot\Drop. You can make a shortcut on your desktop to this directory to read your email.

Try going to and on the left hand side, click on &quot;step by step&quot; and down towards the bottom it will tell you how to set it up.

*oi,

i will check it out a.s.a.p.. kinda busy @ the moment :}
thanks alot by_the_way.!

will post the results.

--
rgds,
rb.

hi,

tried this but it's not working.. the mail returns to sender:

----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.2 <rb@roeiboot.com>... Host unknown (Name server: roeiboot.com: host not found)

i created the mail.roeiboot.com at PowerDNS (according to their support i needed to do that, the mail should go to my main WAN IP & from there on to my w2k AS Server, i also have a 98 PC -my workstation) and a w2k prof. PC + a Mac, they are all connected through a LinkSys router, i opened port 25 & 110 to go to the w2k server)

plus, as i read on the website you recommended.. IIS is only for incoming, maybe it would be easier to use 3rd party software for both in- and outgoing mail.. althought i've been trying with various programs & get none to work, and as i said.. very little to none support/help :}

thanks anyways..
rb.

I guess between you and I, I can give you access to download a copy of Exchange Server 5.5 or 2000 if you want it.

sounds good to me.. ps. i also found out that i made an mistake with the config of PowerDNS, got an new error:

--- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----
<blaat@roeiboot.com>
(reason: 550 Relaying denied !)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mail.roeiboot.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<blaat@roeiboot.com>
<<< 550 Relaying denied !
550 5.1.1 <blaat@roeiboot.com>... User unknown

--
rgds,
rb.

Ok..I wont be able to do this until monday or tuesday of next week. I will be quite busy today and will be out of town until next week.

Are there any differences between Exchange 5.5 and 2000?

Thank you in advance,
- NOnoy

Hi there,

I havent worked with Exchange 2000 yet, Thats on my list to do before the end of the year.

hi jeff5144,

did you get a change to do me that favour yet ?? :}

Pertaining to Windows 2000:
I have found out a little more things about SMTP.
(1)You go to the Internet Service Manager and that is where you will manage SMTP setup.
(2) Near the bottom of the ISM you will see &quot;Default SMTP Virtual Server&quot;
(3)Expand that section
(4)Right-Click the section that says &quot;Domain&quot; and choose [New] then choose Domain.
(5) You type in your domain there.
(6) It should create three folders

You are NOW set up.
I have no idea what to do from there but for me I will install MS Exchange 2000.

oi jeff5144,

email: blaat@roeiboot.com or rudeboy@dwaalspoor.com,
they both should work :}

thx.!
rb

Hi,

I have an ADSL router for Internet connection and mail delivery (going out) This all works fine. I am using NT4 Server and Exchange 5.5 (SP4). When I configure the IMS for mail collection I can only choose from Dial-up-Connections! This means I have to install a 56K modem and use dial-up to collect my mail (POP3). Is there any way I can setup a virtual connection to point to my router and collect POP3 mail. I do not have any software for the router, only the box itself.

Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back