Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up strong passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NERIC

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
OK. This may be a simple one. But, My my question is: Is there a way to limit users on a unix system so they can't use their username as their password. I know there are other settings to restrict dictionary words and to require alphanumeric. But, I'm looking to specifically limit the username as the password.

Hi,

If you are using a dictionary file. Edit your mkuser.sys file, add an entry to append the userid on creation to the dictionary file. Thus if a user changes password to same as userid, it will be rejected because it is in the dictionary file.

E.g. in mkuser.sys add this
echo $1 >> /usr/lib/dict

Remember to first make backup of the mkuser.sys file.

hi ,

you can set in the /etc/security/users file the number of characters,numberic,alphanumeric charcaters user can have in their password

i.e. minalpha stanza

Thanks for the replies. I think I have my answer. I really appreciate all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back