Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up SonicWall TZ 100W for use with Avaya IP Office IP Phone @ Remote Location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

norteldiva

Technical User
Aug 21, 2007
US
I am going to be using several Offsite 9630 phones and will be using a Sonic Wall TZ150W to create the open ports to allow those phones to reach the switch. While I am an IP Office person and programming the switch is a breeze, I know nothing about Sonic Wall. Is there a document or setup guide that will walk me through the setup (from box to operation) of the Sonic Wall TZ100W to open ports and create everything needed to make those phones work remotely? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You don't mention the version of IP Office, and while you can have remote H323 phones on the current version, it's really not a good idea.

You should use a Sonicwall at each remote site and create a site-to-site VPN. This is the easiest to implement and troubleshoot.

You can also use the built in client on the Avaya 9630 to have it VPN to the Sonicwall.

I have both of the above set up with no issues.

Hi David:

I'm on IPO 500 v2 8.1.63 I will have the phones at several remote locations and having a site to site with sonic walls at each employees home just wouldn't be financial sound at this time. I will be using 9630 phones at multiple remote locations. I know this is asking a lot, but if you have documentation to show the set up on the IPO side as well as complete setup on the SonicWall Site, it would be appreciate more than I can say. If this already exists someplace that I haven't looked, maybe you have links. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm putting this new system in in 10 days and would really like to have everything I need to get it moving forward.

THANK YOU!!!

I setup VPN with 500v2 8.1(43) using 9620L phones to a Sonicwall TZ 215 (SonicOS Enhanced 5.8.1.7-7o).
I followed tips from this forum and the Technical Bulletin 190 referenced above with the following exceptions.

I use PSK with XAUTH you can try and setup with XAUTH disabled but I wanted the extra security.

I created 2 subnets on the Sonicwall, subnet2 (29.10.2.1) is isolated for VPN traffic for the phones and subnet1(29.10.1.1) is for the IP Office, Voicemail PRO, and Manager. The reason behind this if you look and the IP Routes in the System Status it makes default routes for each Lan. I then created a default route of 0.0.0.0./0.0.0.0/29.10.2.1/Lan2/metric0.

On the VPN section of the phone I set the protected network to 29.10.2.0/24. Make sure your settings match between the GroupVPN policy and the VPN settings on the phone. I have been tweaking the BWM on the Soincwall to try and improve call quality.

One thing you might watch for is if you disconnect the VPN phone the Sonicwall doesn't drop the connection you have to either Renegotiate it or you can plug the phone in and retry the connection once it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back