Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Socks 4 to run on ISA 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmach

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
Hi All,

I'm having a problem getting Socks 4 to work with ISA 2000.
Is there a step-by-step guide that could help me set this up right?

thanks ahead of time for your help!
Dan

my socks4 was totally transparent. I installed ISA as a firewall (no web cache) and I was able to use socsk4 for stuff like mIRC but after installing the firewall client, socks4 became useless.

It sounds like I need to setup the ISA Firewall in order to get the socks4 to work. I was hoping I could make this work with the casheing/proxy part of the ISA server because this is for my home network and didn't want to put another server online to make this work.

Thanks for your help!!:)
Dan

you wanted to install a cache server for a homenetwork?

HJB417

I have a son who likes to play online games, and a daughter who like to download and play music or listen to online radio stations, my wife and mysalf are power user. Plus the software is bought by my company, and it's free for me.

I need a good proxy server, and casheing ability would be real nice. Plus I need a firewall if some kind. I was hoping to put all if the above on one server if there is a way to do this. From my understanding this can't be done using ISA2000 server.

This question is can the ISA server be set-up to use the proxy part and the firewall part of the ISA server?

Thanks ahead of time:)
Dan

I don't think the cache part is necessary. Firewall mode is good enough for home LANners.

Back to the origional question..
I also am having problems getting ISA server to work in cache mode with Socks.
No problem with other methods of internet access

when ever iwill try to install isa server , the browsing gets stops on the server itself. although i am able to ping the any www. server. i have tried using nslookup also. the sites are geting resolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back