Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up SIP clients on mobile devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLguy1002

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2011
US
Hello all. I've seen some similar threads posted here, but can't quite figure out what works and what doesn't. We have a 6.1 IPO with a 3rd Party Endpoint license, and we want to set up a PC softphone for a client. He may want to use it on his iPhone/iPad, so we're going to test that too. The VPN isn't an issue, and for the sake of this discussion, we're just trying to register the clients locally first (we can deal with WAN issues when we come to them).

I have on my iPhone 3CX, Acrobit's SIP client, and Counterpath's Bria. All of these seem to ask for slightly different configuration information, none of which is explicitly identified in the Avaya documentation. The only commonality is I can't get any of them to register.

So starting with Bria, which seems to be the most basic in terms of what settings I can modify, I have only a few options: Display as, Username, Password, Domain. There are some advanced settings about proxy servers, transport (only udp, tcp, and tls), etc.

I just get a timeout error.

Any ideas? I'm not married to any platform, so I'm willing to switch. If someone has this working, care to share your configuration details? I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Avaya has a new SIP client that works also, it's in the app store.

But i mostly use 3CX.

it's easy to setup.

Don't setup anything up in the IPO, just add the licence enter the settings below in the 3CX and it will auto configure in the IPO.

Fill in

Name/Display Name/ID: the username you like but all need to be the same.
User: the extenion number
Password: 0000 (do not fill in any other, if you like it to auto configure)
Internal server: IP addr of IPO
Server port/Local SIP port: 5060

Thats it.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

Thank you for your help! That seems to work.

I also took your advice and applied it successfully to Bria.

To get Bria to work, put in the extension number for both caller ID and username, and use 0000 for the password. The domain should be the IP address of the IP Office switch. It immediately registered and worked!

Hopefully this can help some other users with their SIP client issues.

My next step is modify the system so they don't have to use a VPN tunnel and can access the IP office via a public static IP address using port forwarding.

Bria works wonderfully however until 8.0 the transfer feature seems broke and I believe it is a bug in the Refer SIP option in the IP Office in earlier versions.

I have tested Bria on Mac, iPhone, and Linux and all work wihtout issue on 8.0 and again on 7.0 sans the ability to transfer.

On the accounts tab in bria you will want to set the Display as to the DID for your extension or whatever caller ID you will use for outbound. The username is the extension and the password is the login code on the IP Office user's Telephony tab. Finally the domain is the IP address of the IP Office.

Kyle Holladay / IPOfficeHelp.com
ACSS & APSS SME Communications
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back