Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Security/passwording??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLutgen

Technical User
May 25, 2001
US
I have a database that I need to set up security on. The engineers all need full access to the database, and everyone else who enters it should only have read only priveleges. How should I set this up? Can I make something so that one password opens the database read only and another password opens it full access? Is there a better way to do this. The Access help stunk on this so hopefully someone here can be more helpful. Thanks

Brad

Go to Tools - Security - User and Group accounts. Now set up two groups, one called "Engineers" and say "Users". Upon creating the groups you will then need to close this and go to Tools - Secutiry - User & Group permissions , set the appropriate read / write privliages for engineers and the appropriate read only privilages for Users. Next close this dialog and go back to User and Group accounts. Now create appropriate users and put them in the group engineers or users depending on the privilages you wish to have.

Hope this helps =================
Warren Brown
wazzer@btinternet.com
=================

Thanks for the help, but I am not sure that I am understanding it right. If I set this up that way, I then have to enter every person who is going to be using the database as a user under either the "Engineers" Category or the "User" category. Is this correct? What if the database is on a company wide network? To creat the users, I just click new on the top part of the box for User and Group accounts, and then select the correct group I want them in at the bottom? Is this correct? Why does not it not let me remove me User group when I want the person to be in the Engineer group? Also, what exactly is the user ID it asks you to enter along with the user name? One more thing, once I have them entered, and try to set their password, is their some default password given by access for "Old Password" and then how do I get the program to prompt for the username and/or password at start up? Thank you so much for your help. I have never done this before. Thanks.
Brad

Ah if you're on a network it's different, i'll try and look up something for you tommorow then get back to you, however if anyone knows off hand feel free to interupt me. =================
Warren Brown
wazzer@btinternet.com
=================

security is quite a tricky subject which requires some reading to understand it. It can be quite easy to lock yourself out completely if you dont do it correctly. Rather than explain it (which will take all day to do properly) If you go to the microsoft website there are a number of documents.

go to and do a search. I have a number of documents in word format you can have but i dont know how to do attachments.

regards
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back