Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Samba

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisRChamberlain

Programmer
Mar 23, 2000
GB
Linux newbie so please be patient. [smile]

Have 'Client for Microsoft Networks' with a mix of Win2K and Win98 boxes, workgroup name is 'WORKGROUP'.

Red Hat 9.0 is set up on a box, user name is 'chris'.

Trying to access Linux box from a Win2K box, user name 'chris' and exactly the same password as the Linux box.

Have followed the instructions in the Samba Server Configuration Tool

Workgroup: mygroup
Authenication Mode: User
Encrypt Passwords: Yes
Guest account: chris

Added a samba user, 'chris', Windows Username: chris and Samba Password the same as the Linux and Windows password.

Mygroup is visble in My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network

Clicking on Mygroup brings up the error message

'Mygroup is not accessible

The network path was not found'

Tried adding a share as an alternative with the same result.

What am I missing here, please?

TIA

FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

Hi Chris,

I have similar prob which is i hv configured samba on redhat 8.0. in my windows 2k/xp entire network it is showing sambauser ( the same i hv given in smb.conf as mygroup) when i double click it says sambauser not accessible, network path not found.. my smbd and nmbd r running. Just now when i checked ipchain and ip6table was enabled on my redhat 8, i will disable it now, what other things i hv to chk?/ ( u hv mentioned some trusted device eth0) what exactly is that and how did u enable it? ..... ( i hv added my user name using smbpasswd -a username which has same password as my windows.... what other things and how to do it plz help

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I went to that path and found security level as HIGH and eth0 was not enabled.. so changed security level to no firewall and clicked on okay button and it did ask are u sure and stuffs i said yes and clicked on okay button, then again when went to the same path to make sure it has taken effect again its showing sec level as HIGH, its not coming to effect, i gave reboot also.. what to do now..

i logged in as root and did (both medium and nofirewall) but same result..

pranesh11

I reinstalled RH 9.0 when I first had the problem and made sure nearly all install, and in particular network, options were included, as the Samba settings were not being saved.

Since then its worked every time except that you need to wait a little while before MyGroup appears on a Windows machine after booting into Linux.

FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

Hi,

I hv one more redhat 9 in that changed to medium, but same result on that machine also..

IS there any alternative to samba so that i can map my linux partition on windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back