Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Remote Client Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2002
US
I need some direction on how to set up a few of my users for remote access to the Netware 6 file server, as this is something I've never done. We will have a firewall, and each will be using a VPN client to authenticate through the firewall. But, what's next? There will be two types of access--some using iFolder, and that one I'm pretty much set on, and others will need to login to the file server and pull down their email from the server (email client is Pegasus). This is where I need some direction/guidance.

All users will be coming into the network via their own internet connections.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks much,

Gromit

pegasus is pop e-mail all you really need to do is open pop port thru firewall.

no vpn needed. Mark
cmptrnerd@core.com

Thanks for the replies. As for our Pegasus setup, we use Pegasus as an internal client, not a traditional POP client, as each person must authenticate to the network to send/receive email. Their mailbox is a directory on the network. Mercury/32 manages the mail into and out of the network.

When they connect remotely via the VPN, once they authenticate through the firewall, do they just load up the Netware Client to log in?

As for email, if all they want to do is pull down their mail, what about using Netmail? Anybody use that? How does it work?

What firewall are you using? How does it authenticate? Some will only authenticate using NT Domains which you can do with something called Account Management software from Novell. It makes your system appear to the firewall as an NT domain. This way, you should be able to login using the VPN client from some broadband connection and it will seem like you are on the network directly.... Email, file system access, whatever.... Not just remote email, full email like you are logged into the system. Hope this helps!

If Mercury doesn't answer POP requests, you need to use the VPN and the same client remotely you're using inside.

iFolder can go over SSL (port 52443 is common). So can NetStorage, giving users file access. Different port used...

Without replacing Mercury, you need to use a POP client or VPN and such.

Rick

We'll be using a Sonicwall for the firewall, and their built-in vpn client. I think I actually have this figured out. And I can also allow them to use either Outhouse (er, Outlook) or Pegasus as the email client, either will work.
Thanks much everyone for the input. It was helpful!

Remote Users (not WAN)
To be able to login to the file server which is behind the firewall, there's instances that you have to allow the incomming global ip to be able to go thru your firewall. use Novell Client32:
Tree: globalipofyourfileserver (eg. 203.164.182.236)
Context: yourcontext
Server: yourserver

Remote Users (WAN/ with Routers)
You have to create a end to end L2TP Tunnel, so that you can be able to communicate your local IP address to the other end local ip address with security. (10.10.1.* - 10.10.2.*)
use Novell Client32:
Tree: localipofyourfileserver (eg. 10.10.10.1)
Context: yourcontext
Server: yourserver

I'm not sure this helps, but this is how i configure for our warehouse people to be able to get access to our Netware6 server in our headoffice, espicifically, for our inventory system, zenworks and email.

For my email server, im using Groupwise and MDaemon. I used Mdaemon to pull email from our mail hosting, after which Mdaemon send the mail to Groupwise.

Noel - ITS/ Sys & Net Admin
CATSRI,CATSE,CNS6.5

Thanks Noel, your comments are indeed helpful. Sounds like I should be able to do this w/o too much difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back