Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

clayndwoods

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2005
US
How do I set up a PRI to PSTN? Make this simple, and straight-forward, prefereably a link to an Edoc.

We will be connecting to a 5ESS, using NI-2, esf and b8zs on the span.

We have the card installed, and have actually had it working (by trial and error) but incoming calls rang once and disconnected. Haven't tried outgoing yet, as there are too many cooks in this "broth" but it will solely be me as of tomorrow.

Is there a method of real-time monitoring of the D-Channel traffic like there is in the Nortel Meridian? How about the ability to force a test call across a trunk group, i.e. trunk group access number?

Is the Definity "wierd" about what service gets released first or will a service release on an upper level automatically go back and release a lower level service it depends on?

Any and all assistance and/r replies are heartily appreciated. This is our first PRI in this switch, but I've brought up countless numbers of them in Meridians.

Build the DS-1 board. Use Protocol 'B' for 5ESS.
Build the Signaling Group.
Build the Trunk Group - type isdn.

You can't monitor the D channel messages, but you can monitor the B channels by using the 'list trace tac xxx' command.

Confirm with the circuit vendor that you have a stable D channel before you add the B channels.

Kevin

I think my reply didn't make it to the board. So I'll repost it.

I appreciate your reply but could you give me a bit more detail?

"Build the DS1 board" I recall having done that but this morning I can't remember where to look to determine that. I can list the Circuit Packs's, Display the circuit packs, but I have yet to remember where that is done at. I do remember there being a protocol choice of A or B.

The trunk group is built but my boss built it, so I will have to go chack that.

We are running a skeleton staff today so I'm working on this when I can.

Again I find documentation stating a TN767 is required for the B Channels (naturally) and a TN464 is required for signalling. I thought both requirements were implememted on the TN767 as of G3-V6? Perhaps as a mother-daghter card combo? Is this in incorrect assumption?

TN464 is sufficient for PRI circuit. You will also need a CSU, maybe a ICSU 120A3, or equivalent.

The type of board used to terminate the D channel depends upon the type of switch. G3si switches can use either a TN767 or TN464 but a TN767 must be coupled with a port on a TN765 Processor Interface board prior to Version 7. The TN464 can use either a port on the Processor Interface card or use the Packet Bus (TN778). If you use Packet Bus, all ISDN-PRI service must use TN464's. A G3r or 8xx0 server requires a TN464 for any circuit with a D channel.

Kevin

How do I determine if this switch is a G3si, or a G3r?

if you open internet and put in the ip adres of your server, you go to the maintenance page, use youre normal login credantials. This will give you lots of info.

Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat

if you open internet and put in the ip adres of your server, you go to the maintenance page, use youre normal login credantials. This will give you lots of info."

I don't understand the above at all. The switch is not IP enabled, nor is it on the net. I use a standard terminal to do maintenance.

the manuals that came with it are for an ECS, G3 V6[ir], and it's V6.2x I believe.

I have a Definity G3, I do not know the variant. Perhaps someone can clue me in on this.

The processor is a TN790, TN785 interface card, with a 7778 (B instead of 8?) network controller, and 2182(B?) Tone card. I believe it is running V.6.2x software. It is not IP enabled, and contains only analog trunk cards. In the past it had digital trunks (via 767 DS1 card) to a carrier for long distance, but I don't recall the connection being a PRI.

We want to install a PRI, and I need to know how to do so. We have the software set up we believe but cannot enable it. Does this machine require a 464 to accomplaish this? If more data is needed to determine this what is that data? And how do I find it if need be?

G3si switches can use either a TN767 or TN464 but a TN767 must be coupled with a port on a TN765 Processor Interface board prior to Version 7."

Ok, I determined from another thread that referenced this thread how to determine what we had.
G3siV6
G3V6i.03.2.239.5

The DS1 Board is built (properly I believe, although I have some sync uncertainty and a failure 138 when testing it)
The signaling group is built, properly I believe

How does one "couple" the 767 to a 790 processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back