Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up POP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkick

ISP
Apr 15, 2001
US
I am running a small hosting server using Apache's virtual hosting option. Email is such an important part of web hosting, but I haven't been able to set it up yet, partly because I'm confused.
I need to set it up so that email to certain domains will only be accessbile by certain users. Email going to anything@customer.com should only be accessbile by the user 'customer'.
Could someone show me how to set this up? Thanx in advanced.

what's this "anything"? it should be a valid username or mailalias otherwise sendmail won't accept it. For example you should add the mailalias (/etc/mail/aliases or /etc/aliases):

anything: customer

Good Luck ;)

Add all of your incoming domains to your sendmail.cw. Add translations for user@domain.com --> user to your virtusertable.

#sendmail.cw
mydomain.com
myotherdomain.com

#virtusertable
user@mydomain.com user
otheruser@mydomain.com otheruser
@mydomain.com error:nouser User Unknown

user@myotherdomain.com user1
otheruser@myotherdomain.com otheruser1
@myotherdomain.com root

This way, the mail for a specific domain can be controlled and put into the correct mailbox.

If you want to setup POP, you can use the built in pop3d or download Qpop. It's pretty good.

How would the DNS records be set up for that domain? Let's say I'm hosting foobar.org on my server, and the DNS A name record points to my server. Is there another record I need to add? Like the MX record? If so, how would I configure that?
I don't have a dedicated mail machine, just that one server... Do I have to set it up so that the mail port will respond to mail.MyServer.net? Since I only have one server, how would I do that? THanx

As long as you have sendmail running, it's ready to respond. Point your MX record for the domain(s) to the server. Are you running DNS on this box? Is it the SOA for the domains? I can prolly help with the DNS too.

Alright, I pointed Foobar.org's MX record to the fully qualified domain of my server. Still wont work :(
I'm running a dedicated DNS server on another machine... I know the DNS server is working correctly, and I'm pretty sure the mail is even sent to the server because I got an email back from SOmething@My.Fully.Qualified.Domain.Name saying that the mail was not sent to the user or something.

Where can I find it? Could you gimme an example of all of the files that need to be configured to make this work?

On Redhat, the files are:
/etc/mail/virtusertable, /etc/sendmail.cw
the log is in /var/log/maillog. The other distros have them in different places.

The maillog should tell you what is happening when the mail hits the box. From there we can take the errors and figure how to fix them.

Here was everything I could find that had information about the problem:

[maillog]
May 24 17:56:32 dsl081-083-016 sendmail[6485]: f4P0tT006485: to=<webmaster@webcanny.net>, delay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=765, dsn=4.4.3, stat=queued
May 24 16:02:25 dsl081-083-016 sendmail[6232]: alias database /etc/mail/aliases.db out of date
May 24 16:02:25 dsl081-083-016 sendmail[6232]: f4OIXK905833: f4ON1N106232: sender notify: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours

Ok, I'm seeing something about the aliases.db... I read that it's default set up to reject email from all domains but domains specified in this file??
Thank you, I really appreciate your guidance through this...

I've never had to touch the aliases file (except maybe to route the postmaster mail to a different mailbox). In your virtusertable, what is webmaster@webcanny.net pointed to? Is there anything in the mailertable? What OS is this anyway? What version of Sendmail? I probably should have found that out first. We might be talking apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back