Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up permissions in Access 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

scra

Technical User
Dec 7, 2001
US
I have a database in Access 2010 and would like to set permissions to allow other users to have the data tables as READ-ONLY and have no permissions to make changes to them but me as the author. I would allow users to link to the tables from my database and have those users open the linked tables from their own database but not to make changes to the linked tables. How do I set up this type of permission?

Access used to have this kind of built in security through Access 2003. In Access 2007 you could still edit existing files in the old format. In Access 2010 you have no ability to maintain this security (I think it still works but my recollection is hazy and I didn't personally try it). In any case this security was widely considered weak.

An answer... Use SQL Server or SQL Express for the backend database and use its security. There are a host of considerations for performance and entire books on the subject.

Another Answer, put the data file in a hidden folder, disable the shift key, keep them out of the navigation pane (custom ribbon), and control writing through code on the forms. - Alternative to hidden folder, do something similar but password protect the backend and unlock in code.

Another Answer, Periodically update a file in a directory with read only permissions (don't mix file permissions where Access files live, it only causes problems when users of differing permissions try to use the file at the same time)

I think that covers the options but nothing too detailed... I hope this helps at least enough to help you ask which one may be most helpful.

Thank you for the reply. I'll give those options a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back