Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Own DialUp Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bopritchard

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
Rather than purchase a bunch of accounts with an ISP our company wants to setup our own DialUp server with an 800 number that our field employees will use as their ISP...

I have no clue where to start...hardware, software...is there another forum i should be looking at

tell your boss that it would cost them more money upfront than to have employees use an expense account. if that wasn't true all companies would be doing the same.

Oh and BTW, these kind of issues are what "internet service discussion" forums SHOULD be like. not break/fix issues.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

the other thing is -800 numbers are always more expensive that direct-dial numbers. it would be (much) cheaper to use a normal number and have the employee claim on expenses for the phone bill.

in terms of hardware, it will depend on scale - how many users? how many simultaneous connections?

you'd need phone lines, a telephone switch, modem rack, a RAS - the kit you need will depend very much on scale.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back