Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up OWA 5.5 help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurbaniak

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2003
US
Ok, I'm setting up an NT 4.0 Server with IIS to host the OWA Server, and I'm going to place it on my DMZ.

I've requested a PUBLIC IP for this server from my ISP for this server.

Now, since the OWA server must be part of my domain so it can authenticate users, how do I setup the IP?

I'm confused. Thanks

That is normally handled with NAT translations on a firewall or router.

With all of my machines that are accessed with public addressses the IP actually on the machine stays an internal one and a router (inside of a hardware firewall) translates requests for the public IP to the appropriate internal address.

But then I don't really have a DMZ yet (unfortunately). What you are suggesting sort of violates the DMZ idea but I would probably do that with a second NIC at least, one on the DMZ and one on internal.

Might even want to consider this something of a hybrid.
Have a strict DMZ where machines can't even see any inside networks and another semi-DMZ of machines with a NIC on each.

Thats the kind of thing we've been talking about.

Hopefully someone else will post on this.

Thanks rdroske. It was a tough day today, I wasn't thinking. Of course, a 1 to 1 NAT setup on my firewall will take care of this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back