Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up old prolient Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpociask

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2005
US
I bought a couple of old prolient servers (one is 3000 and one is a 5500). They have dual pentium III 550mhz processors.

They both came without hard drives (SCSI) and not configured. I bought 3 hard drives for the 5500 and am trying to get the server to run so I can install my operating system.

Right now, when I boot, it checks the RAM and says:

Slot 7 COMPAQ Smart Array 3200 Controller - 0 Logical Drives

1785 - Slot 7 drives array not configured. Run COMPAQ Array Configuration Utitilty

Scanning for the SCSI Devices... No SCSI devices detected.

F1 key to continue
F10 key for system partition utilities

If I press F10, I get

System Disk Error or Non system disk. Replace disk and press Enter

If I put the Smart Start 5.5 disk in the CDROM and press F1 I get:

SmartStart does not support deployment for this server. Consult the support matrix on the Smart Start website at for a complete list of supported servers.

What do I need to do to get this thing going?

Have you tried using floppy disks made with the Smartstart 5.5 CD? I have 3 proliant 3000's one ran of the 5.5 cd with no problem. One would not run off the 5.5 or 4.8 . I made floppies with the 5.5 cd and the install went ok. I do not know what the difference is, or if there is some hardware in one of the units that may be older?

have you tried using the older version for the erase and the 5.5 for the configuring. not sure if that will work or not havent tried it

It's been a while since I worked on a 5500, but I believe Compaq servers of that vintage won't boot off the Smart Start 5.5 CDs, but they will boot off floppies made from the CDs.

newBPhoneGuy's suggestion of running a system erase with an older version (anything 4.9 or older should do), making floppies from 5.5, and running 5.5 to configure ought to help. I did that once to get an older Compaq server running again.

Dave Farquhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back