Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysub1

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
US
I have used Novell for a long time, when set up on a computer, I know how to use it with ease. My friend has 6 computers in his house. He wants Novell to manage his and his families files. I already set up the basic network with Windows using the network card and LAN cable. Is there anything else we need to set this up and what exactly do I need to do?

Thanks

First, you need NetWare software. NW6+5 users is probably $800 or so at discount. IF you find a discount.

A NW6 server should be a P-II 450MHz or better, 256MB RAM or better (512MB strongly rec.), and 9GB drive. SCSI adapters are better for NetWare, the Adaptec Ultra160 is a sweet card. More storage is good, but SCSI is $$$. IDE is a terrible compromise, but if you must, you must. At least they are cheap. Don't bother with any Promise Raid or any other hardware raid, NetWare mirroring is superior to IDE Raid and volumes can span drives simpler in software than a RAID 0 gizmo. Even though the 3C905C-TX is an adequate card, the Intel Pro/100s are superior. If you cheapen every component, your performance will suffer. For what it's worth, ask for studly specs for a Windows 2000 server and figure NetWare will equal it at half the specs except for RAM...

Before you start installing, know what your network IP addressing is, and if you have an Internet router configure it to leave 2 addresses un-leased, or let NetWare do DHCP. If you don't have an Internet router, I think for the $100 or so, buy one instead of learning NetWare's NAT and routing. Unless you're broke, in wbhich case (IMHO) try Linux instead. God, did I say that? Also, read up a bit on what NW6 can do and decide how much you want to bite off up front. iFolder is very, very slick and could be really useful for a notebook user. Buit if your ISP doesn't give a static IP, making this stuff work for remote users is a struggle.

Then, when you're brave, read the active posts in Novell's support site and the Novell forums, and of course cruise here for install problems.

Oh, and worst case, you reformat. Big woop.

rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back