Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Netfinity 5500 w/ServeRaid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjinsan5

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
US
I recently picked up a Netfinity 5500 (Model #8660U52)
the unit has 2 9 gigs in bus2 set up in a mirror config these 2 drives are up in the hot swap bays (holds 5 drives max).

It also has 5 18 gig drives in the attached storage rack on the bottom of the server (holds 10 drives max)

In addition the server has an internal scsi DLT Drive, CD rom, and a floppy.

All 7 hard drives are vein controlled by the ServeRaid controller. (the 2 9 gigs on ch2 and the 5 18 gigs making a 2nd logical drive of 90 gigs on ch1)

The problem is this:

When I try to load Win 2K server or advanced server it gets to the text line "windows is inspecting your hardware configuration..."and then it freezes up. You have to shut the system off to do anything.

When I try to install NT 4 Server it goes through the beginning of the set up asks me if I want to add any other scsi controllers. I add the ServeRaid contoller (it recognises it) but when I hit enter to continue set up it tells me that no hard drives were found and tells me that setup can not continue and that I must end.

I have been all over IBM's site and have tried acouple of things they mention but nothing has made any difference.

Can anyone help me??

I am at my wits end. I have this terrific new server, but I can not get it set up (because of what I imagine is a raid config problem but, I am not sure). I usually run Compaq and Dell servers and I have never run into this before with either of those brands (right about now I'm starting to wish I kept on using them)

Please if you are familiar with this Server or this problem and/or you are a Netfinity or ServeRaid Guru please come to my aid I need help!

Thanks

Matt

hi,
I belive ther is a little error in model, maby 52U.

Here detailed info about it

All docs

Other

Bios and Drivers:

I belive you want load OS in a 2x9Gb RAID1 Logical volume:
ignore or detach other 5 drives and, before install OS, make a RAID1 lv (mirror) using 2x9Gb. To do this, use mini management of ServeRAID adapter at bios level or use ServeRAID CD (you can download a ISO image from above sites, if you have not it)

When the lv is done you can hope to install OS on it.

I suggest to follow the way of W2k, becouse after this hard job, you'll have a more recent system.

The problems:

For NT4, I belive your machine boots well from CD, but has problem with correct ServerRAID driver (don't use that comes with Windows CD, download it from ibm site) or you have not made logical volume.

For W2K, I belive your problems are not, at this moment, ServeRAID problem, but bios compatibility with win2k:
remove from server all adapter that you can remove (probably none) and update firmware of: machine, ServeRAID, video adapter.

Try also the way to install from floppy (make it from W2K cd
using another machine)

I belive this is almost for now !

bye

Download the serverguide software from IBM's web site. this will do all the work for you from configuring the serveraid to the assisted installation of the OS with the correct drivers.

Jon

Or, if you're doing a manual installation of the OS, do these things:
For NT, you have to press F6 when the screen displays "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration...". This will stop the detection process. Waiting for it to ask you for any mass storage devices will fail every time. Setup will reach a point where it indicates it could not find any mass storage devices. Choose to specify on and insert the ServeRAID driver diskette, then specify another and scroll up in the list to get the ATAPI CD-ROM, then continue setup normally.

For W2K, during setup, when the screen changes from black to blue, it will prompt you to press F6 to specify any additional devices - use it then when prompted, insert the ServeRAID driver diskette.

BTW, the 5500-series servers are awesome!!!

Hi,

Can I ask if you run Win2000 Server - and if so do you get resolutions over 16 colours available ???

/Henrik

Yes and yes. Try changing from the default monitor to tha actual monitor you have connected. If you're running through a KVM switch, it may not be detecting the monitor correctly.

Hi,

I actually also thought about that I am running through a KVM. I did the change - but that had absolutely no effect.

I'm getting desperate as I may be facing a complete reinstall (pdc, ad, iis, ftp, exch and then some) of the machine and software - and with the amount of stuff installed on it I rellay do not want to do that...

/Henrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back