Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up multiple extensions for the same mailbox with message light 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcw4

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2007
US
I have a partner ACS R4.0 installed in my home. I only need 2 mailboxes setup. I have a PCMCIA card that indicates Large (if this helps with what style messaging I am using).

The 2 mailboxes are as follows. I have 1 mailbox for the parents, and 1 mailbox for the kids. The parents would need voicemail (with the message indicator light) for extension 10, 11, 12, & 17. The kids would need voicemail for extension 13,14,15, & 16.

I don't want to use an auto attendant for the kids line stating "for kid1 press 1, for kid2 press 2, etc.

I have 2 lines coming into my home. 1 for the kids, and 1 for the parents. Line 1 currently is set to leave voicemail on extension 12 while line 2 is set to leave voicemail on extension 15.

I guess . . . maybe I don't have the right setup entirely and maybe somebody with much more expertise in these systems can tell me what the best way is to accomplish what I would like to have.

It would be nice to have the message waiting indicator light to show up on all extensions as long as Line1 is broken out from line 2? Is it possible????

I think I answered my own question in a round about way. Can I split the 4 ext 14,15,16 to where they are all extension 14. In other words in all 4 of the kids rooms, I will have extension 14? Then the message indicator light would show up on extension 14 which is really all of their phones. This would also free up 3 extensions for wireless phones in the future (backyard, garage, etc.) Will this work?

Nope, you can't have the message waiting light show up at multiple extensions.

Darn . . . I am two for two on this newbie crap. OK . . If I cannot have the message indicator light work on multiple extensions . . . can I split 1 extension (say extension 14) to 4 different locations and then have the message indicator light appear on extension 14? The reason I ask is that, all 4 extensions share 1 phone line . . . so it really does not matter if they are all extension 14.

Lets face it . . . for the intercom purposes, if I want one kid, I need to call all of them anyways. Page extension 14 would page all 4 bedrooms anyways . . . that might work better than having the message light show up on 4 extensions!

Would that work? Thanks for the responses to my newbie questions . . . I am just trying to make it work.

You can not loop multiple multiline phones. None of them will work. You can have one multiline phone and multiple SINGLE LINE phones looped off of it. Of course, those single line phones don't receive pages. However, there are 4 calling/paging groups in the system, so put the kids' phones in a group, and page the group. They will all hear the page.

The next release of the ACS R7 "N" will have multiple extension message notifacation.

Thank you . . . I even think a newb like myself can do that.

Thanks Again

Any word when the "N" release on the ACS 7.0 will be available...Your post is the first I have heard about the new release. The multiple message waiting feature would be great.
Rich

Still in "beta" it will in the near future but no date yet.

I WOULD have "dial 14 for kid X, 15 for kid Y, 16 for kid Z.." etc. In your scenario, if the light is lit and kid X gets the message and the message isn't for kid X, we now must rely on kid X to notify the correct recipient. In my world, that is an unreliable method of operation...
We also use a Partner ACS at home and everyone has their own mailbox (even parents) - allows voicemail to do its job.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back