Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmanyoung

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi all,

I trying to setup a mail server. Currently I have Windows 2000 server running exchange 2000. I have AD and smtp running. I also have a linksys router to my dsl line. What is need to send and receive email to my domain? I have a static ip and a domain name configured. I cannot receive or send messages. Any ideas and steps? Thanks

Newman

Changed the pri and sec DNS to my server ip. Don't have a root ".". Still can't send external emails.

ok. let's go to NSLOOKUP from the exchange box. Try to resolve some MX records for other domains, like yahoo.com.
What error messages do you get?

If you need the syntax, let me know.

From my exchange box I enter "nslookup yahoo.com" and it give me:

Server: yahoo.com
Addresses: 66.218.71.198, 64.58.79.230

dns request timed out
time out was 2 sec
*** request to yahoo.com timed out

Alright, here's an update. I can get external email to my mailboxes, but can only send to my earthlink account which is my isp provider, they also provide me with dns servers. Maybe their dns are not routing my other mail. It automatically configures on my router thru pppoe. Anyway to change it or configure to use another dns server?

If you were successful at configuring your local DNS as I suggested earlier (with the Root Hints...), and the NIC on your exchange box points to itself for Primary and Secondary DNS, AND you don't have Forwarders configured in your DNS setup, then you should be bypassing the ISP...

Every is changed but still no outgoing except for earthlink mail. Earthlink is blocking port 25, so I cannot send thru them. Can I configure my exchange to use another isps dns?

if earthlink are blocking port 25, then it doesnt matter whose DNS you use, you wont be able to host a mail server, as it will still be blocked by earthlink. perhaps look around for another isp who doesnt block that port? or ask earthlink if theres a way they can unblock it for you? (probably by putting you on a more expensive subscription)

Thanks all,

I guess I'll need to find another ISP. This is a great board.

OK kinda of a new update to this I think is needed. I have the same issue as newmanyoung. I have Exchange w2k and running Earthlink DSL PPPOE (which is dynamic addy) I am running No-ip.com. Per a service available from no-ip.com I can reflect my port 25 to another port, in this case it's port 9925. I have success recieving mail but sending mail is not working.
I have 2 nic cards with 1 running RASPPPOE as dial up to Mindspring/Earthlink (because I have W2K Server)and able to connect without issues. The other NIC is setup for internal networking. DNS, DHCP, AD are running with defaults (except fopr Root's hint (".") settings is gone as per fourm) I have not update DNS with any records of any kind. Internal ip network is 10.0.0.0-10.0.0.50.
Exchange Server is W2K w/SP3
Like above I can Recieve on all accounts but just cannot send out. Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back