Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up mail account for another user 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrydoughty

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
GB
I need to set up an e mail address for my wife, so that she only receives e mails addressed to her on her lap top at wife@username.com and for me to receive on my desk top only e mails addressed to husband@username.com.

Can this be done?

You'll need to be a little more specific about what software you're using to check your email, what operating system you're on, and possibly, which email service you use (yahoo, aol, hotmail, etc,) Are you sharing one PC? Or using separate PC's? Do you each log on with your username if using the same PC?

I'd go further, but there's too many options right now. Narrow it down a little and I'll go further. But yes, it is definitely possible.

It would probably be helpful to know what O/S you are using and what mail client you are using also, but, if you are logging on with separate user accounts on the same computer, this can be done. Outlook separates profile information based upon userid providing that you are using Personal Folders. As each of you logs onto the O/S (Win 2K, XP, etc.) with your userid, you will set up separate accounts in Outlook according to your mail server settings. Hope this helps

My OS is Windows ME and I use Outlook Express.

I have set up on my desk top my Account to receive e mails for tdoughty@screaming.net which enables me to receive all emails sent to xxx@tdoughty.screaming.net

I want to set up my wife as angela@tdoughty.screaming.net and for her to receive emails at only that e mail address on her lap top and for me not to receive them on my desk top.

Does that make sense?

Sounds like you are using aliases, that will not work then.
For the server (screaming.net) it is alway tdoughty that is the user, so you will always receive them. For that to work, you really need 2 seperate email accounts, not aliases. For instance, angela@screaming.net [sub]If the answer is here, Mark it, others can benefit from it too. If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back