Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up LDAP... how hard is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
How hard is it to setup LDAP? How powerful is Linux's LDAP server? Can it sync NT, 2000, Novell, AS400, Mainframe, ect? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

We're working on a solution to integrate Linux and Windows logons and keep all the passwds in one place; LDAP.

Do you wan't LDAP as a backend for your primary domain controller?

I've only used LDAP for network authentication, so I guess I can really only speak about implementing it. In a word, it was a 'bitch'! There's plenty of how to's if you look, but none I found really worked out of the box. I had to integrate them all together to finally get openldap working. Then again, I'm no expert on ldap, so that didn't help either. When it is running the two best apps I've found for it are GQ and Directory Administrator. I used the ldap quick start guide at and some articles I found using Google, and finally it worked. Fortunately, when it's set up right, it "just works", so it was worth the heartache.
I know it can work with Active Directory, and I "believe" it is also compatible with Novell's Directory Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back