Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Kiosk, preventing closing of browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirth

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2003
US
Hello All,
I've set up a kiosk that's locked down and only launches Netscape 7.1 on startup. Since Netscape is launched by setting it as the Shell in the Winlogon key, users can't reopen NS if they close it out.

So, what I'd like to do is set up a page on the local machine - which would be the homepage - that uses OnUnload to relaunch NS if someone shuts it down. I've gotten this to work, sort of, but I always seem to wind up in a loop, with NS trying to reopen the page, forever.

The code below isn't exactly what I'm using, but it should give you a good idea of how I'm trying to go about this. If anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong or if there's a better way to do this, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and I don't have access to the page on the actual server, only the kiosk.htm on the local machine.

Thanks in advance,
Mirth
Code:
<script language=&quot;JavaScript&quot; type=&quot;text/javascript&quot;>
<!--
function WinOpen(){
	window.open(&quot;[URL unfurl="true"]http://something.com&quot;,&quot;TEST&quot;,[/URL] &quot;status=yes,hotkeys=no,toolbar=yes,scrollbars=yes&quot;);
}
function Reload(){
    window.open(&quot;file:///c:/kiosk.htm&quot;)	
//-->
</SCRIPT>

<body onLoad=&quot;WinOpen()&quot; onUnload=&quot;Reload()&quot;>

I think that you might be better off to figure out a way to run a service on the machine to make sure that Netscape is always running. This code launces whenever someone leaves this page!!! OOYY!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

fart.gif

Yeah, I'm starting to think that might be the better way to go. Ideally, I'd just like a little app that would check every 5 seconds to see if netscp.exe was running and, if not, restart it. Anyone know where I might find such a thing?

It will never work from within the browser. Immagine a website you couldn't close... heh :)

Just a humble suggestion, but how about using a replacement desktop like Litestep or similar with hardcoded shortcut to Netscape and nothing else?

----------
I'm willing to trade custom scripts for... [see profile]

I hadn't heard of Litestep, but I'll certainly look into it. At this point, I hesitate to switch since I've gotten all the other issues with these kiosks worked out. Keeping the browser open is the last hurdle.

As long as I'm bumping this thread back to the top of the list, does anyone have any suggestions for a small app that can restart Netscape if it's closed?

Why not ask in the Visual Basic Forum (forum222) how to write an executable and add it to the services on the computer..

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

fart.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back