Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up isolated vlans 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
Can I setup multiple vlans on a L2 switch that connects to a L3 switch and route appropriately? Do those vlans have to be designated on both switches? For example:

Layer 2 Switch
Vlan2 - users
Vlan3 - venders
(both need internet access, but Vlan2 needs server access)
The Layer 2 switch connects to a port on the Layer 3 switch.

Thanks.

Answer is yes , what you have to do is to make your vlans on your layer 2 switch , your uplink to the layer 3 switch has to be a trunk which carries multiple vlans across the same fiber . on your layer 3 side create a SVI for each subnet (vlan ) that you want to route . Make sure all pc's gateways are pointed to the correct layer 3 SVI interface otherwise it will not route , if a pc is on vlan 2 then the gateway has to point to the vlan 2 layer 3 switch address .

Thanks. This is very helpful. I should be able to go from here.

I understand your general instructions above, but I haven't been able to apply it yet. I'm using a Dlink managed layer 2 and a cisco 3750 with EMI. The pc is attached to the Dlink. If I don't setup trunking, I can ping the address of the vlan on the cisco. As soon as I enable trunking on the cisco, I cannot ping anymore. The Dlink uses GVRP. Has anyone had experience with a similar arrangement?

hmm Dlink...I'm not sure what VLAN terms DLink uses but you should have a similar setup like this:

On Dlink:

Port 1: (Connect to Cisco interface f0/1)
VLAN membership: VLAN 2, 3
VLAN tagging: tag all
Port 2: (Connect to VLAN 2 host)
VLAN membership: VLAN 2
VLAN tagging: untag all
Port 3: (Connect to VLAN 3 host)
VLAN membership: VLAN 3
VLAN tagging: untag all

On Cisco:

!
vlan 2,3
!
int f0/1
switchport trunk allow vlan 2,3
switchport mode trunk
!
int vlan 2
ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0
!
int vlan 3
ip add 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.0
!

Then configure the default gateway on your hosts:

VLAN 2 hosts default gateway: 2.2.2.2
VLAN 3 hosts default gateway: 3.3.3.3

Perhaps you to need to define a 802.1q trunk on each switch.
For Cisco 3750, for example, you need on the interface :
"switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q"
For Dlink i don't know.

You will definately need an 802.1q trunk if you are connecting to anything other than Cisco

Reamin positive. The affect on those around you will amaze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back