Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up hp printer in SCO Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

komputatek

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2001
US
I've used HP Jet Direct to set up a new printer, but it won't work. Through J/D I can ping it, test print, and all seems well, but it doesn't work!!! Is there something in SCO itself that I need to do?

yes... on their web site, search for just "jetdirect". It has been a long time so maybe they have a different utility, but I think you use hpnpcnfg and/or rlp (remote line printing). Again, check SCO's web site for details because the configuration is very...detailed.

I use SCO Open Server to print to JetDirect based printers as well as Lantronix Pocket Print servers. Try using scoadmin/printers/HP printers, you need to know the IP address of the printer to set it up but the rest is very easy just follow the numbered menus step by step. The Lantronix Print servers require some editing (/etc/printcap)
and directory creation /u/spool/printer name. Also enter the printer name/IP address in the /etc/hosts file. Check the Man printers or Man HP for more details.

HTH
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back