Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Group Permissions on Win 2k domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

klos81

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
US
hello everbody,

i Have a small network (25) Pc's, a Win2K server running as Dc, DCHP and DNS, but i'm having issues when i try to run quick books on a client computer,under the users account, this is what happens:
the user tries to open quickbooks and it gives a message saying that you need administrator priviliges to run it, the program was installed by the administrator of the local computer and therefore is installed locally, but then there is a folder in the server with the quick books files and that's from where you pull from. if you try to open quick books with the domain administrator account it opens fine, so is not bacause it was installed by the administrator of the local pc, what kind of group policy am i suppossed to apply and how. or is it something else?

can anyone please help me?

thanks in advance

Im making a guess but I think the program is trying to modify the registry on the local machine when it runs. If you make the local user an administrator and it works this will prove it. Otherwise youll have to run all sorts of different tests to try and nail the problem down.

Good place to look in the registry - HKLM\Software\Companyname\Software

Check it with REGEDT32 and check the permissions, make it everyone full control to test it out....

Good luck!

Hey TechieLike, i found out what the problem was, you are right, the problem was that the program was trying to modify the registry, but i also checked in the QB manual and saw a little box saying that you had to be at least a power user to be able to operate the program, so after thinking for a minute i went with the domain administrator account and added to the local machine group " power users" the user that i wanted to have access to QB, and it worked!!

so i guess i won't have to fight with group policies no more,

thanks for your help

KLOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back