Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucknowm

MIS
Jun 4, 1999
US
I want to configure my Windows 2000 machine with it's FQDN (fully qualified domain name) address.

Any help ?

FQDN is the posh term for the following;

servername.domain.com

Therefore, if you are setting up the first server in an Active Directory environment for a company called firstwalls.com your servername would look like this:

server1.firstwalls.com ( if you do not have a web presence, or never intend to have one, you can use a .local instead of a .com)

The Domain Name portion is parralleled by the DNS Settings that you apply to your first AD integrated Zone.

That is why it is essential that you decide on a naming convention before you start, as if you get it wrong, there could be problems later.

Best advice, if you have a Website or have external workers, try register an internet domain name and use this as your Qualified Domain Name.

[rainbow] Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

Where can the FQDN be configured ? Registry ? What are the steps ?

You can setup a domain without a *.com domain name.
Step one is to setup your server as a (PC)
Then the "security files" and the (DNS)

I have done it just recently with win2000 server, and "PERSONAL" as the domain.

If you dont know anything about (TCP/IP) your work is coutout for you.

You enter that information when you run DCPROMO on the first domain controller. If you already have domain controllers, I'm pretty sure you cant change it unless you run DCPROMO again to demote the DC and then promote it again which is a pain, but I have had to do that before.

Hello again

Okay, lets start from scratch.

A FQDN is not a configurable option in the sense that a computer name is. It is a term that defines an objects location in a DNS namespace.

Therefore, you decide on the name that you are going to assign to your domain, i.e. companya.com ( I know that you do not HAVE TO do this), but if you have a web presence, or intend to have one, register a web address and use it as your domain name. It is better to be pre-prepared!!

So, you now have a Domain name. The next step is to build the First server in the Domain, as stated by ScreeminChikin. During the DCPROMO process, you will be asked to install the DNS service.

Once DCPROMO is completed, you must then Configure DNS. It is best to setup as an Active Directory Integrated DNS Zone. Once you have then created the Forward Lookup Zone for your domain namespace, you will have an FQDN for all named objects on your Domain. i.e. server1.companya.com

To be honest, if this is information that makes little or no sense, I would look to get Tech help from your nearest Microsoft Certified Partner, or get on a steep learning curve at the MS Active Directory Website.
[2thumbsup]

Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back