Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up files for visitor download

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallow

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
What I need to know may seem simple to the more knowledgeable, but I’ve searched everywhere on the internet and can’t seem to find a "how to" on doing it. It’s something most of us do at least several times a week. I need to know how to make files available for http download for visitors to my website. You know, set it up so that when they click on a file or link, a gray dialog box will open allowing them to download the file, like happens on sites like Download.com. I not talking about FTP, I know how to do that. I want to make it as simple as possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rallow@att.net

Hi mate,

Just zip the file and create the link directly to the zip.

The other way is to send a header from a server side script to fool the browser into downloading a file that it would normally open in the browser.

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Thanks “Mate”!
I knew it was simple but that I'm even simpler. You are the first to reply and have answered my question. Thanks again.
Rallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back