Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Fax machines via Avaya Ip Office or just over LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbb1234

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2021
US
Hello and thank you so much for your time. I have a customer that is comprised of several buildings on a large plot of land. One building house all the IT infrastructure (Avaya Ip office 500 v2, Internet, POTS lines, Server, etc). So long story short EVERYTHING use to be ethernet cables underground and they replaced it all with fiber except the FAX POTS lines. This place gets hit with lightning religiously so I am looking to put the fax POTS lines on the network (before they go bad or get hit by lightning also) and ideally put a box near each fax that I can simply plug into the network and provide the phone line to the fax machines? I know this tech exists but dam is it hard to find. Thanks for your time.

So I have been looking at options like this and since it is just 1 box. How do I get my phones lines to point to this device? I see it says set up an account, is it all done there? Any charges for this service?

You would connect the ATA to the IP Office. It will have an extension number. Then you would connect the fax line to the IP Office. In IP Office programming you would assign the fax line to ring the ATA extension.

You will need a SIP endpoint license for the IP Office to register the ATA.

Awesome! Do these just use regular Sip license or 3rd party (if they still even use them)? We are on the newest ip office release. So helpful tank you again!

Avaya don't like you using 3rd party kit so they charge you double [mad]

I wonder if a custom User Agent string would be all that's needed to trick it :p

Out of the box idea but have you considered hosted fax? Our customer still uses the on prem PBX but they ported all their fax numbers to a hosted service. No more service calls or fax equipment to deal with. Visit a web portal to send/receive faxes or install a client if the user sends many faxes. Like any idea, it is not perfect for everybody but our customer loves it. In fact, they ordered more numbers so each user can have a direct fax line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back