Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up email notification to Exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyputerguy

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
US
Hi all!

We are running SEF 7.0 on NT Workstation. We've just switched over to Exchange for email and I am having some difficulty in re-configuring the email notifications (for when there are errors/warnings, etc.)

The firewall is completely standalone- not a member of a domain, nor is it pointing to any DNS.

The Exchange 5.5 server (call it ACME-EXS01) is a Windows 2000 domain controller for the domain ACME-EAST.Local. To further confuse the issue, it recieves mail bound for MAIL.ACME.COM.

So I'm setting up the notifications to go to joe_user@mail.acme.com. I have an entry in the host file pointing mail.acme.com to the mail server's IP address. I can ping mail.acme.com with no problem- it resolves just fine.

When I trigger an error, it tries to email out but does not- claiming that NOTIFYD cannot look up the mail.acme.com domain. After reading into the instructions more, I addressed the notifications to joe_user@ACME-EXS01.mail.acme.com (throwing the servername ahead of the domain name). The messages now get to the server but Exchange isn't processing them because the server name in the email address seems to be throwing it for a loop.

Is there a way to trick Raptor into sending mail to the Exchange box without making many changes to Exchange? I tried to change the HOSTS file to know mail.com and then throw in the ACME ahead of it, but Raptor's not happy about that.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

If I where U, I won't let Raptor do anything more then just be a proxie!! I don't think Raptor is up to doing more then that. But that's just my experience!
So just let Raptor (with a rule) proxie smtp traffic to your exchange server, and nothing more.
Try to configure your exchange server the right way, perhaps drop this issue in the exchange forum!

good luck,

deRk

Not sure if you resolved this, but it does sound like it has to do with your DNS setup. I had a similar problem and I remember it turned out to be my DNS setup in the firewall. Sorry, but cannot remember the specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back