Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up DSA email notification Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric1020

MIS
May 27, 2004
US
I am having difficulty getting SMTP:user@company.com email to work for alarm notification. I have DSA version 1.5.05 and Windows 2000. I have tried with Netscape open (as the sending email program) and also with Outlook. I also have a profile setup in Windows. My company's email SMTP server is some version of Netscape something or another. I am able to send regular emails from this PC. I'm not that familiar with Windows 2000, but I poked around in "Internet Information Services" control panel and installed "Default SMTP Virtual Server" but that didn't help (after doing some Googling). DSA seems to think the email is going, but after that I can't find it sitting anywhere on the pc. I haven't been able to ask my company's email admin if they are being sent but are bounced to postmaster for some reason because he is on vacation. The emails never appear in the "sending" email program. No windows ever open or anything like that.

TIA for any suggestions.

Eric

What version of Outlook are you using? I had to downgrade to Outlook 2000 with no security patches to make this work. Outlook would not let another program send email on its behalf due to security in the newer versions.

I think I got it to work. After I rebooted the machine (I do call logging on that machine also and I only reboot monthly) Outlook started to ask for permission to send an email. I downloaded a program to automatically "click yes" and everything appears to be automatic now.

I appreciate all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back