Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up DNS - opinions/discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb307

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
DE
Hi fellas!

I'm in a "happy" nifty company merger. Due to several parameters I can't change our mergerteam developped a plan and I'd like to have some feedback from you. All NOS will become W2k and AD.

I assume that AD-integrated DNS will work with several DNS-Servers. Is there any known limit or experiences with it. Especially how many DNS-Servers should/could be "fed" by AD?

We have to use sites (not a subdomain) via slower links (forming OUs: A=160 users, 512k link, B=25 users, 64k link) that will get their own DC(s) w/DHCP and Notes servers (Notes performance is not a problem today). Would it be a good idea to

a) put a DNS server there
and
b) make it AD-intergrated?

The first "dcpromo" is not the problem - I think about the daily workload. How is the DNS data replicated (if at all).

Read you

Harald

My Opinion < 2 cents

a) yes

b) I prefer standard DNS servers as opposed to AD integrated. They're easier to manipulate/edit, and since they work off straight files, easier to restore. If you do use AD however, the replication by default would occur with normal DC replication events (hourly between sites), unless you change that in Sites and Services.

c) what makes your merger &quot;happy&quot; nifty? :)

Hi bronto...

--- snipp
b) I prefer standard DNS servers as opposed to AD integrated. They're easier to manipulate/edit, and since they work off straight files, easier to restore. If you do use AD however, the replication by default would occur with normal DC replication events (hourly between sites), unless you change that in Sites and Services.
--- snapp
Well I understand your 2cents. But there will be enough DCs to have a decent redundancy. I think it's possible to get another box up and running as DNS.

---snipp
c) what makes your merger &quot;happy&quot; nifty?
---snapp

Hmm, forgot it :)
- Not really happy on one site
- Typo: nitty (is it lousy, too)

Harald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back