Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up dns for web hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs7536

Programmer
Apr 20, 2003
US
can anyone direct me to a friendly ref on how to setup a dns server that will allow me to host a website. website and everything is in place but I cant access the site by domain only by ip but domain is pointing. all that is missing is the dns portion of the configuration.

dont bring people to my office to see what i'm doing, bring people to help me with what i'm doing.

Max

Hi cs7536

Is this a intranet site or internet site you want to host ?do you have a DNS pointer back to your box ? what address are you using to connect ?
If it is an intranet site then the chances are you only need to setup a cname entry in DNS and ensure you have a header setup in IIS.
If you are hosting a public web site you will need to register a DNS name to point back to your public ip also check you have a header in IIS and check any firewall ports are open to allow web traffic.

it is an internet site, all domains and dns from registar side is done. all ports are open but configuring dns on the box is where my issue is.

can't we all just get along

Max

Hi cs7536

create a cname in DNS with your and point in to the hostname of your machine with the website. Check in IIS in the box next to the ip address of your web site that you have the present. In routing and remote access if you are using nat check your internet interface has the correct port settings to allow web traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back