Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottlem

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
GB
Being very new to Sco Unix, can someone explain how to setup directories on different hard drives.

Disk 1,2,3 are standalone
Disk 4,5 have raid 5

Do you have the filesystems from the drives mounted somewhere on the primary drive? If so, then cd to that directory and mkdir <new directory name>.

Unix considers everything as files (including sub-directories and devices). There is only 1 active tree on a system at any time. The tree can consist of many different filesystems mounted at different points in the tree. These filesystems can be from other hard drives, cdroms, or remote machines.

Did that make sense?
HTH
stan

p.s.
? why would you have raid 5 on only a pair of drives ?
I can see raid 0 or raid 1 ( striping or mirroring )

Sorry my mistake. Disk 1,2,6 are standalone and 3-5 are raid 5.

Now i understand that # mkdir /Directoryname
# Mount /dev/dsk/diskname / directoryname is what i am meant to use.

But given a list of the hardrives names who do you identify which is which

divvy /dev/hdxx will show names. df -v will show filesystems. At least earlier systems did. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

divvy does not seem to want to work. I am using unixware 7.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back