Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SETTING UP COMPAQ TO MULTILINK WITH 2 INTERNAL MODEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

babelajoy

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
Hi, I am trying to set up a Multilink ISP account with two internal PCI modems, they are both Compaqs, urgh. I have tried it with a Windows ME system and Windows 98. No success. Either system, on reboot, picks it up and tries to install it. Neither system has the drivers for the other Modem, so I went into my restore disks and found the drivers, installed those, removed dial up networking, added it back in again, removed all modems, created a different Com port, all with no luck. Inside the machine the original modem PCI remains in the second slot, and i have tried the addition modem on the first slot and the third slot all with no luck. Windows 98, freeezes and locks and restarts on its own. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS WORK? PLEASE HELP ME.

Oh let me add, one of the modems is a Conexant HCF PCI data Fax V90, 56K bla bla bla, and the other is called a MicroModem HC___, but the actual name on the card is ActionTec and it reads as a Pctel in the device manager.

Thanks
Thanks you much,
Joy

The problem is with Compaq. The modems they build will NOT work in any other system, including any other Compaq, except for the identical system they came in.
For your second modem, go get any other sort, generic Lucent, or best, any external serial, then it will work easily.
It's got nothing to do with DUN or multilink. The Compaq simply won't recognize any other modem made by Compaq.
Get a second modem installed correctly, and it's a breeze. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hi Jim, sorry i double-posted, I did not know. I thought putting it both places would get it seen, I do apologize.

I wanted to let you know that I have since got my Compaq 98 to recognize both internal modems by uninstalling all com ports and all modems, taking them out, restarting the comuter, shutting down again, putting the modems back in again, and restarted. It then installed the original modem and the com ports then wanted to install the 2nd modem, which i had to d/l the driver for, and it works. I am currently hooked up by multilink with both my modems and am getting a various speed of anywhere between 42,000 and 56,000 but my phone lines will only handle 26,400 each, so not too bad.

Thanks for your help, and again i apoligize for double-posting.

Joy

The second modem must be a generic PCTel then, not an actual Compaq modem, however, I'm glad you got them both installed correctly.
It's too bad your phone lines can't handle more than that.
I've had multilink working at over 100kbps with two hard modems. Winmodems just don't do the job as well.
Congrats. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hi, I plan on buying an external modem because the PCtel modem is the modem from a rental computer I had because my hard drive failed. Do you have any suggestions, price is the main issue as well as is the easability of installing it. I am not a computer know all, I spend days researching things and I never take it cannot be done for an answer. I would prefer a USB modem, any suggestions? THis would be in a 98 compaq system with a 20G hard drive. Oh, and by the way, this might be a dumb question, but my little icon says I am connecting at 70+, but if I go to those bandwidth sites, I am getting a response anywhere from like 29. up to 59. What is the difference? How can I tell exactly what my connection rate is. I downloaded a 4.5mb program in less than 15 minutes and it was downloading at over 5.3. I thought that was a great improvment.

Thanks so much for your help.

Joy

The best deal around right now is the Diamond Supra Express ISA, going for $19 direct from Diamond It's a jumpered hard modem, but may not be your answer if you have no ISA slots.
The next best would be any external SERIAL modem, not USB!

Bandwith: You'll get different results, depending on how far away the test site is. Don't believe any of them.
Do your own test by downloading a file (anything over 200k) directly from your ISP, and clock it with a stopwatch. That will give you an idea how fast you're really connected, and everything from there out into the internet will be slower, depending on how far away from the server, how busy the server, and such, of the site you're visiting. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back