Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishalmarya

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
We have 5 machines (3 win xp and 2 win 98 se )

We were using workgroup networking till now and static ip address .

Now one of the win 98 se machines has been upgraded to win 2000 server and that is the domain controller.

I have changed network settings of all 4 client machines from workgroup to domain and removed the static ip addresses.

I have doubts over certain Issues.

1. DO i have to create "users" or "computers" - in the "active directory user and computers" option in the server

2. What should i use "tcp/ip" OR the "ipx/spx/netbios compatible protocol" or Both .

3. After "logging on" the win 98 se machine gives the error "no domain server was found to verify your password.
Why is that ?

4. I shutdown the server still the each client machine were able to access the network.Why is that ?

5 . We have a internet connection on a client machine ( xp)

Is there something in win2000 server which enables all other clients to share that internet connection as one of the resources. Because proxy settings requires an IP address , But now Our machines don't have any static ip address how to go about it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1) Yes if you want users to authenticate using your AD server you will need to add users to the active directory. Computers will automatically be added, but if they are NT based machines (nt/2000/xp/2003) they will need to be joined to the domain.

2) Use tcp for your protocol.

3) Make sure you have a user setup in AD and on the 98 machine make sure you have a domain setup correctly under client for Microsoft Networking. If you have that then it is likely a DNS issue.

4) Your AD server is your authenticating server (it authenticates them to the network) and if you have the clients on a hub or switch they will still see the PC's that are on that same switch or hub. It gets deeper than that but that's the legist of it.

5) If you are using a proxy use your proxy server (It has to be a static IP) as your DNS server and on your clients configure them to point to the proxy. Your AD servers and your proxy server have to use a static IP. Your client machine can be setup on DHCP. If you still want to setup a Internet connection share on windows 2000 here is a link to tell you how to do it but it is not recommended to setup a connection share on your server if it is handling DNS or DHCP or if it's a domain controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back