Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Backup Area Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwenger

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have several Windows 2000 Servers running Active Directory. Each of these has (2) NICs, a 1000Mbps, and a 100Mbps.

I would like to set up a backup area network (BAN) using the 100Mbps NICs. We would use this network for doing backups, restores, and ghosting during working hours without flooding the main network.

It would also be nice if AD replication traffic used this backup network as well.

I have assigned a second subnet (192.168.2.x) and setup IP addresses on the 100Mbps NICs. My 1000Mbps NICs are setup on a 192.168.1.x subnet.

Once I connect these 192.168.2.x NICs to a separate switch what happens? How do I direct the appropriate traffic to the backup network? How do I tell the servers to use this network to talk to each other but not the clients?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

John Wenger

The subnet masks are 255.255.255.x for both subnets.

You need to put a router between the two switches. We have a similar setup and the router will prevent netbios and other protocols from bouncing across the link. An inexpensive linksys router did the job for us.

I don't want to link the 2 subnets with a router. If I wanted to that I could set it up with Windows 2000 routing.

I just want the server to server traffic to traverse the 192.168.2.x subnet while the client to server traffic goes on 192.168.1.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back