Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kactus

MIS
Jul 1, 2001
AU
Hey all,

I know this is a basic question but for some reason I can't get ASP to work on my IIS server.

I have an IIS 4 server running quite happily as a proxy box - it serves up a local web site, even. But for some reason ASP's just don't happen!

Is there a trick to setting up ASP functionality on a server as opposed to personal web server?

Sorry if this is either too basic a question or posted in the wrong place but all help is appreciated.

Kactus

I'm having the same problem-

I don't have windows NT, I got 98 instead. do I need to install a asp.dll or what do I need to do?

Hi.

Windows 98 comes with Personal Web Server, which by default should be able to support ASP pages and applications. If you install it and still can't see

Or, you could do a test:

Copy and paste this code into notepad and save the file as "test.asp", and then save it into your Web server directory. For IIS on NT/2000, thebdefault path is:

c:\Inetpub\
...and for PWS it could be:

c:\Webshare\ (or it could be the same as for NT, depending on which version you have)

<!-- CODE STARTS HERE -->
<html>
<head>
<title>This is a test</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>This is testing if the ASP engine works for this server. If this works, we should see the time here: <%= Time() %><P>
Did it work???</h1>
</body>
</html>
<!-- CODE ENDS HERE -->

...if it works, the time will be printed...if not, ASP is not running on the server.

Hi.

Have you solved this yet?

I had this problem.

if you enter as a url c:\ the html part works, and the asp doesn't run.

if you enter a url of //localhost/default.asp, then both the htm and asp work.

Regards,
Gzep.
(if this reply helps you, please vote! ::) )

that's because you're O.S. reads the *.asp file as a regualar file. You need IIS or PWS to translate it. That's why you need to run it through IIS and run it as the web. ex: or or
If you don't know how to set up additional web sites other than your localhost default site, then write again here. Other than that, you need to run the asp files through a web hosting program. Apache, IIS, PWS, etc.
-Ovatvvon :-Q

Also make sure your not just opening up the ASP files with explorer...unless your grabbing it through the server, it will display as normal code....I learned that little bit a couple days ago...it made me mad cuz I spent hours trying to get it to work...X-) ----------------------------------------
Insert attention grabbing signature, which would otherwise provoke a positive emotion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back