Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up Apple on Microsoft Domain with Entourage

Status
Not open for further replies.

benewm

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2004
US
I have a user with an Apple notebook Mac OS 10.3.4 using Entourage 2004. The domain is Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2000. The full domain name is 22 characters long (xxxxxxxConstructionInc.local) but is usually truncated to 15 characters (xxxxxxxConstruc.local) for logging in, etc. OWA is setup to be accessed locally, but it can not be accessed from the outside (I did not set this up on the firewall, and they don't need the functionality). I need to make this Apple part of the domain like any other computer- email and file sharing primarily.

I am having multiple issues that I will describe, but the purpose of my post is to get detailed instructions for adding this Apple to the domain for file sharing and setting up Entourage to work with Exchange. I have tried a lot of different things, so I will go into depth about everything I have done (sorry making this post long but I want all the info in here).

Pretty much, the first thing I did was to try to setup Entourage. I was able to connect to the Exchange mail box by using the IP address of the server and the truncated domain name. This did not work completely. There were many errors synchronizing Calender and Contacts, and the process never seemed to end. I also could not Send due to an http error (I could receive). The error code was -18597. I also got LDAP errors when I tried to search the directory.

In terms of setting it up to authenticate on the domain, the first thing I did was install the Apple File Sharing protocol on the server. I then setup the Microsoft UAM on the Apple. I then tried to add Active Directory to the Directory Access on the Apple, but I could not find the forest/domain. I tried the full name and the truncated name .com and .local. I used the same name for both the forest and the domain because this is a very small environment.

That pretty much summarizes it. PLEASE HELP!! I have never dealt with Apple's before, so I am lost.

Okay, so first things first.

For one user on the powerbook, accessing an SMB server and an Exchange server, I would not deal with Active Directory integration. I wouldn't have even installed the 'Services for Macintosh' stuff on the Windows server, I don't think.

Let's break this into three discussions: Should you try to integrate the OS X book into AD, how to connect to Windows file servers and how to connect Entourage to Exchange for the purposes of sending/receiving email. Trying to get contacts and calendars into Entourage has been overly frustrating for me in the past, so I'll leave that aspect of configuration to others on this forum.

On the first topic, please start with this:
I think that is the appropriate resource to help you understand what will be involved in integrating into AD. If we're taking a vote, I vote against integration in your circumstance because you have one user on one machine.

Second topic, connecting to a file server. This is probably bone simple. Make sure you have a valid IP address on the book, then, in the Finder, choose the 'Go' menu, then 'Connect to Server', then click the 'Browse' button at the bottom. You can also directly enter the IP of the Windows file server you are trying to connect. Please try that and report back with any specific issues, that might just work as is.

Third topic, Entourage/Exchange. Just start with the basics, set up the email username and password, the server's DNS name or IP address, that sort of thing. Try opening the IMAP inbox, and let us know of any errors that you get. I would remove any accounts you've set up already under the 'Exchange' or 'Directory Services' areas, they may just confound you at this point.

If you can open the IMAP inbox, try sending some email. Does it go through? what errors do you get? Is is a typo, or did you really get an 'http' error before?

Sorry to put so much of this back on you, but you're the one with access to the machine. I just re-read your post and you are using Entourage 2004, for which I have no experience. I think it will be similar enough to the Entourage X I'm using to make my advice worth a few minutes of your time. Here's hoping.

Good luck, please post with any errors or additional info. Also, when you do finally get this resolved, would you be so kind as to post the rundown on the configuration so future users can search the forum and find the answer?

I haven't tested with Entourage on 10.3.4 but as an Exchange guru, here's my $.02.

Exchange is proprietary as is the protocol that connects to it (MAPI). IMAP, POP, HTTP are different protocols that are commonly used to also conect to Exchange. IMAP and POP don't give you shared calendars, notes, etc...

Exchange has always been a NetBIOS beast which means that your server name has to be resolved by name only, not DNS name.
EXCHANGE is NOT the same as EXCHANGE.MYDOMAIN.LOCAL in NetBios language even though they are the same server.

I've always entered a host file entry to fix the Exchange connectivity for Apple Clients.

So...

in your /etc/hosts add
<EXCHANGE SERVER> <IP ADDRESS OF SERVER>

benewm -

The problem you are having has to do with the .local dns suffix. The MACs don't seem to recognize this as a valid suffix and will not resolve names properly. You can test this using the TCPIP utilities on the MAC. Try to PING your .local domain and then try Name Lookup. You'll see that while Name Lookup resolves the IP Address, PING does not. I consider this a serious bug on the MACs.

The workaround is to create a auxillary .com domain with host entries to your LDAP (domain controller) and your Exchange server.

Can someone tell me how to ping from a Mac? I want to ping an smtp server to check that outgoing mail access is ok from a wireless laptop which refuses to send emails.

Thanks,
Tim

Can ping through the terminal located in HD, Applications, Utilites, Terminal.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Baggins

After you have bound the Netinfo services to active directory, please - go to and get the MSUAM for OSX. Used in conjunction with file services for macintosh, this module will allow for long passwords and password encryption.

As far as Exchange/Entourage is concerned... Entourage 2004 communicates with the Exchange server over WebDAV for all mail and calendar actions. No MAPI, no IMAP, no SMTP.

Configuring LDAP on Entourage, go into the Exchange settings on the mac, then click Directory tab. Then click the Advanced setting button. Click the Server Requires me to log on box. Confirm that the port is checked and set to 3268.

When configuring Entourage for Exchange, remember you have to supply the domain but also provide the server. I use the IP address (so when folks are logged in via VPN they can get thier mail).

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL when mucking with your /etc/hosts files, most of it is overwritten on reboot anyhow.

And to whoever asked about ping, in your utilities folder there is a great app called Network Utility. Gives basic and advanced info, netstat, appletalk stats, pink, lookup, traceroute, whois, finger, and port scans. Great graphical swiss army knife for those not famliar with command line utilities.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back