Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up and deleting a new user acount in mandrake 7.2, and 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
first of all, there shouldnt be a big difference between either case in 7.2 or 8.0, right?

anyways, im new to linux (like loads of other peeps). So, maybe a little explaing to whatever commands i have to type in the CLI.

oh btw, im not wanting to do this through the GUI. :)

I wanna start out my linux experience using both a CLI, and a GUI

btw, also maybe how to change passwords and, an icon maybe?

If you could supply me with the above VERY needed information, i Would REAAAAALY appreciate it!!!

:)

TIA

- Rusty

man useradd

This will give you the indepth information you are looking for.

useradd --help

will give you the basics

useradd -d /home/name -m -s /bin/bash name

would create a new user name whose home directory is /home/name and copy the files in /etc/skel to their home directory and set the permissions for them.

Then
passwd name

Will supply a password for name.

You can change passwords by issuing the passwd command. Users can change only their passwords, but root can change anyones.

passwd

The command alone changes the current users password

passwd username

changes the password for that user.

Changing an icon depends on what window manager you are using.

thx, i'll try it out right now...

btw, know of any good tutorials on installing downloaded files, such as .rpm, .tgz, .tar.gz, .tar, (all i can think of, that are for rpm based distros)

if ya dont, maybe telling me?

TIA
- Rusty

There is the rpm howto: which is also on your distro, probably in /usr/docs. Man pages are always helpful, so are the info pages:

man tar
info tar

With tarred and gzipped (tar.gz or .tgz) there is usually a README file that tells you how to run ./configure and make to compile the program.

Becareful of .tgz files, since they may be slackware or bsd packages, not just the uncompiled sources.

For more online information, I would start looking around .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back