Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Aloha System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowbaldwin

Technical User
Apr 21, 2015
US
Hi Everyone!

I'm helping my sister setup a new restaurant, and we're thinking of using Aloha POS. I'm a server and have been using it for years. I'm considering purchasing a Radiant Terminal, and a computer tower for the office to act as the server. As I've been browsing these threads, I've come across something that struck me. Are we going to be able to purchase a computer + used Radiant touch screen and install Aloha and go... Or do we have to purchase licenses? I'm sure this is an iffy question to some, just wondering before we invest in all the equipment, as to what route we go.

Thank you,
Marcus

For Aloha to run it requires a "HASP" (hardware and software protection)
A. The HASP can either be purchased new from an Aloha dealer. Expect them to not sell you only software and HASP.
B. Purchase used system from EBay, Craigslist or local restaurant auctions and use what ever version you purchased. Stay away from versions 6.4 and lower for PCI Compliance.

Option "A" allows for updates, access to there support, future upgrades and adding additional features in future.
Option "B" is like a used car. What ever options come with it are what you get. Without going back to dealer and paying large fees you are not eligible for updates, upgrades and perhaps support from a dealer. Know what you are purchasing before you buy. There are 2 flavors of aloha. Table service and Quick service. Know which one you need

With Option "B" you can find many 3rd party unaffiliated NCR company's like mine, to support you.

If startup capital is an issue I would suggest you talking to dealer about Aloha SAAS. Low monthly fixed cost option with no huge capital investment.

AlohaRoss

Thank you Ross!

It looks like I'm going to go with Option B -- the used car. She has a credit card device that will be separate from the computers, so shouldn't be an issue w/ the latest version.

I'm wondering, is there somewhere I can purchase just the software? I've looked online, and found a few links to version 6420.3 and 6439 MSI. Will that work?

Thank you again,
Marcus

The software will still need a hasp. Either a real one or a virtual one that was programmed for the particular version of Aloha. If NCR/radiant did not have HASP's there would be pirated Aloha software everywhere. Do not believe its just easy to drop in a CD and it will work. It will not.

AlohaRoss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back