Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbalazs

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2000
GB
I am setting up 2000 Server for the first time. When I set up the Domain Controller / Active Directory, all seems to go fine until I get to the "Configuring Active Directory" stage, when the installation fails. Is the problem that I have already assigned IP addresses to the 2 NICs in the machine (one for LAN, one for DSL) or that the PC is not actually plugged into a network? (I want to do as much as possible offline). Or does it sound like something else?
Thanks for any tips.
Tony.

doesn't make sense...
you might want to disable your xDSL interface,
make sure DNS is not set up yet (let AD wizard install DNS) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

You need to be networked to another computer to install active directory.The other computer just has to be hooked up and running so the NIC sees another computer.

well, you can not install Active Directory if you are not conected to a switch or router.

You can conect your server to an empty switch.

Thank you, all. I don't want to connect the server yet to our current LAN, which is a Win95 Workgroup. so would a viable option be to connect it to one other PC with a crossover cable? We don't have a spare hub or router to play with, and I can't afford for it to take over the workgroup immediately in case I screw up :).
Thanks again.
Tony.

Win95 workgroup? OH NO! You are looking at some problems comming up and a host of feats not being implemented by Win2K Server if using a non-AD workstation most benifits of Win2k server won't apply.
All your server will do is verify usernames/passwords and basic stuff. I strongly suggest upgrading to Win2k pro or if you can't afford that, NT4.0 workstation.

Good luck Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer

isnt loading dsclient on the w95 the needed program to run a w95 machine in an W2k active dir environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back