Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinite1

MIS
Apr 24, 2008
US
Hello guys,

I have been tasked to set up an internal wireless network outside our LAN that users can configure their laptops to use our internet connection to connect to the internet. they won't have access to our lan just internet.

How would configre the wireless routers to piggyback of our line?

I have two wireless routers.

Two Linksys Wireless-N routers.

The way we do it is to have two seperate VLAN's on our switches (Cisco). One is for our network and the other for the wireless. We then feed each of these into seperate ports on our firewall. We apply different rule sets to each of these ports. Our wireless equipment are access points (Aruba), not routers. Your challendge is goint to be trying to use equipment that is designed more for the home enviornment versus the commercial environment. I don't know if you can do all of this or not.

Dan

Check into a router like Mikrotik router OS( Mikrotik Router OS is a very inexpense hardware and software platform. You can setup a hotspot (or not) on a totally seperate interface and using forewalls rules protect your internal network.

Hope this helps

Assuming you have common internet gateway for both ur trusted network and public internet,Best option is to connect the public WIFI in separate VLAN.If ur Switch support Vlan, u can configure thro'it.or if ur accesspoint support Vlan, U can do it thro' it.
If nothing possible,u need to enable packet filter option in Access points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back