Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a Windows XP machine as a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryS2002

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
US
I have a client that would like to use their new PC with Windows XP operating system as their server. They have a 2 PC network, the server now has Windows NT 4.0 using Metaframe 1.8 to connect the 2 PC's. They have Windows Terminal Service CD. I am wondering if first is it feasible to use the Windows XP as a server? Thanks in advance for any information.

Windows XP only allows one remote desktop connection at a time (assuming the Terminal Server reference is important)

I talked with the client and they said they would only have one other PC connecting to it. Now for the hard question, and I am sorry I am so dumb about this, but they will setup a new network connection to the remote machine? They will have to have Terminal services installed on the remote PC?

XP as SERVER, Be aware that XP Home has a limit of 5 inbound connections and Pro has a 10 connection limit. The nextowrk autodisconnect setting, 15 minutes, will free up connections over time. This may not be a problem for your client now, but if their installation grows they will start getting denied network connections to the "file server". Windows 2000 Pro has the same limitation. I think that it is Bill G.'s way of getting poeple to buy W2K Server.

I am not suer about your Terminal services question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back