Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a webserver, port problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLASHfreak1021

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
US
Hey Everyone!
I am running 2 Win XP computers, one wireless, the other on CAT 5 cabling. I have a Linksys DSL Router. On the wireless computer, I have installed Apache, PHP, MySQL... My webserver is all set to run, but I don't know how to configure the router. Right now its running on DHCP (Don't know what that means!). Apache runs on port 80, and I need to forward port 80. How?
FLASHfreak ;-)

First, find out the IP address your web server is running on. On the wireless computer - Start, Run, CMD, OK, ipconfig, enter. Record the IP address 192.168.1.XXX

Then, connect to the router administration at and go to Advanced, then Forwarding tab. {From here it depends somewhat on exactly what router and what firmware you're running}. Set external port 80 to forward to the internal IP address of the server machine.

Oh yeah, hopefully your ISP doesn't block port 80; many do.

That's what mine does. I had to map port xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8081(where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = outside ip address) to port 80 on the inside of my network.

It will forward tcp/ip packets addressed on your public IP on port 8080 to the private LAN IP you specify on port 8080.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back