Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a VPN with Linksys Router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have a Linksys BEFVP41 Router. I am trying to set up a VPN so that I can access my Network though a dial up connection. However I get as fair as Verifing User Name and password, and I get a an Error 721: The remote computer is not responding.

My remote system is Windows 2000 Professional
My system I'm trying to gain access to is Windows 2000 Advanced Server

I do have a security policy set up, that I can give settings to if necessary.

The Server has RRAS, DNS, DHCP and Active Directory Installed. My user name does have remote Access.

I also post this in The Windows 2000 Professional and Remote access Forum's

ricpinto

I sent the e-mail at 9:42 on 02/04/04. However the hotmail site did not give me a E-Mail succesfully sent message let me know if you did not receive it.

Mail sent on Wednesday 02/04/04 at 21:01

Yessss........

It works with the downgraded Firmware - no thanks to Linksys.

Thanks ntesla.....

Here is where you can get most all of the previous firmware:
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/

I am having much of the same issues w/ 2003 server vpn-ing from xp-pro, but I get an 800 error, I have the dsl modem setup for stright passthrough of the public ip. I did test my xp to connect to another vpn and that worked, so as I read these threads I think I have an issue w/my linksys.

Please e-mail me the downgrade firmware.

newbie11@hotmail.com.

Thanks
Paulie

Did you try the ftp site that Michael Dell referred to above?

NTesla supplied the working firmware version ... .. "Downgrade firmware to 1.40.3".....

This version worked for me on a port forward and pptp passthru on the Linksys BEFVP41 VPN Router.... My w2k Server was set up as an RRAS box...

Hope this helps..

I have the same setup. My server only has 1 NIC. This is what I encounter then I setup RRAS on Win2K Server:

My Win2K Server goes through out Linksys BEFSR41 Router so the Server only has 1 Network Interface Card.

Here is how I setup VPN:
I open Routing and Remote Access console in the Administrative Tools folder, right-click the server and then click Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access>Virtual private network [VPN] server. Click Next if TCP/IP is only protocol you will use. Select a connection you will connect to on the Internet Connection.

Problem is then I get to this point. My only choice is "No Internet" or the only Network interface Card of the Server. When I choose the '3COM' NIC of the server it says:

"You have chosen the last available connection as the Internet connection. A VPN Server requires that one connectoin be used as the private network connection."

Do I have to install another NIC? Do can I do this with just one NIC and choose &quot;No Internet Connection&quot; <-- But how will this be configured properly when I choose &quot;No Internet Connection.

I will VPN from my house (WinXP Pro through Linksys BEFSR41) to my Office (BEFSR41> Win2k Server)

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back