Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a VPN with Linksys Router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have a Linksys BEFVP41 Router. I am trying to set up a VPN so that I can access my Network though a dial up connection. However I get as fair as Verifing User Name and password, and I get a an Error 721: The remote computer is not responding.

My remote system is Windows 2000 Professional
My system I'm trying to gain access to is Windows 2000 Advanced Server

I do have a security policy set up, that I can give settings to if necessary.

The Server has RRAS, DNS, DHCP and Active Directory Installed. My user name does have remote Access.

I also post this in The Windows 2000 Professional and Remote access Forum's

is it a VPN linksys router or are you port forwarding to the W2K Server?

Rocco is the BOY!!

SHUT YOUR LIPS...
ROCCOsm.gif

Port 1723 PPTP forwarding to internal ip of VPN server

Port 47, 500 and 1723 are all being forwarded to the Win 2000 server machine.

I had this working at one time, my user profile got corrupt and I don't remember how I got it to work.

Did you prepare a policy in RRAS to allow connectivity for the remote access users.
is this the only user that needs access

Yes a policy is in place for RRAS and this is the only user that needs access.

NTesla,

Did you find the cause of this problem. I'm experiencing the same issue and it does not make any sense to me. Let me know if you found anything.

Thanks,

Andrew

Me too. Does the W2K Server have to be a public IP?

Surely I can have the W2K VPN Server as a Private IP and connect up with the Linksys Right????

I too need a VPN tunnel from a VPN client on the outside.

Thanks

Ok guys. I have a similar issue, however; I might be able to solve yours. I have a PPTP connection from the main office to a remote site working. I simply setup RRAS on the Win2k server using manual instead of VPN. Then made sure any user accounts had dial-up access. Then opened 1723 on the router and pointed it to the server. At the remote site I was able to get the Win2k systems to connect with no problem. Once the VPN was setup I can log in via the VPN to the AD server at the main office. Works great and is fast too. My problem is with the XP systems. All settings being the same I can not get the XP systems to connect. Error 721. Any suggestions?

Mike Jones, A+ MCSE
Systems Engineer/Owner
CCNI

I still have not been able to get this to work. I have made all the requirmented changes and still have no success.

I Remotely setup a Linksys VPN Router and W2K Server this Wkend! It didn't work!!

Once I'd set up the Server it wouldn't allow pop mail any more?!?!?

Anyways, where do I go to find out how to set up a Private IP W2K Server behind a NAT Linksys VPN Router?

Does RRas have to be activated on the W2K server? Does RRas activate automatically when you establish the VPN in the security policy? What are the consequences of making a DC w/XChange installed as the VPN Server - or should I use a 'dumb' box as the VPN Server? Questions, questions, questions!

There is an article on Microsoft's Knowledge base saying you need to upgrade your firmware on the Linksys and it will work.

There are articles posted on this site saying that you have to downgrade your firmware!

I've been on this incident for 2 weeks with Microsoft and Linksys/Cisco (via email) and we can't get it to work.

I'm stumped. Guess I'll have to spend some more dough for a better Router!

Anyone got any ideas on what Router to get?

Thanks

Have reset the router back to factory defaults and reflashed the old firmware?

I have the exact same linksys at home, most of the port openings I try to make dont even work let alone the vpn. I tried flashing and that didnt even work.

Downgrade firmware to 1.40.3, forward ports 40, 500, 1723 to the servers Ip address and it will work. I called Linksys and without actually coming right out and saying so, they confirmed that their is a problem with the latest firmware version. I had been fighting mine for months with the latest version of firmware and could not get it to work I downgraded to 1.40.3 and had it working with in five minutes.

Take a look at this thread:
thread595-717845 is the same problem, and were I got the solution

I can't find this prior Firmware version posted on the Linksys site.

Can someone pls. ftp or email it to me?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back