Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a VPN with Linksys Router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have a Linksys BEFVP41 Router. I am trying to set up a VPN so that I can access my Network though a dial up connection. However I get as fair as Verifing User Name and password, and I get a an Error 721: The remote computer is not responding.

My remote system is Windows 2000 Professional
My system I'm trying to gain access to is Windows 2000 Advanced Server

I do have a security policy set up, that I can give settings to if necessary.

The Server has RRAS, DNS, DHCP and Active Directory Installed. My user name does have remote Access.

I also post this in The Windows 2000 Professional and Server Forum's

I could tell you how many I have setup but here is the steps that I go through for the Linksys router.
Login - Advanced - Forwarding
Customised application name - 1723 to 1723 - check TCP - input Ip of the PC VPN connecting too - Enable.
That is step by step - I know this will work

The problem Error 721: Hangs at verifing username and password until time out.

This is a VPN configuration - I had this problem with server 2003 - it was a combination of port and dhcp agent configuation - was not giving the VPNing workstation an IP
I hope this puts you in the right direction.

A friend had the same problem with a 2000 server - he gave up and upgraded to 2003 and the problem was fixed ;)
Not the best solution - he has the money.

I wish you luck

You can find most all of the previous firmware at

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/

This includes other series than the befsr41, such as the befvp41, befsx, befw11s4...

I had the same problem with the WAG54G linksys router. The only way I could get it to work was to disable the firewall.

Regards

I also have the same problem with a WAG54G. Disable the firewall and the VPN is fine, enable it and 'error 721...'. I have mailed Linksys, but no reply as yet. Anyone else managed to get an answer?

Laurence

It might be a server setup issue. As I looked into the linksys log, it shows the incoming traffic for port 1723 has reached the router. That must mean the connection was estabished. I't might be a server setup issue. I also know that Linksys dont have a protol for GRE. I had an old dlink router and it has GRE protol. (everyting work fine)I tried to email linksys regarding this issue and they still havent responed back to my emails.

We had a similar problem with the Linksys WAG54G but it was just a firewall setting. Make sure you enable in WAN to LAN two things. Firstly PPTP(TCP:1723) and secondly PPTP_TUNNEL(GRE:0). Both should have a source of Any and a destination of your RRAS server (private IP address). In my set up I made the GRE rule number 1 and the 1723 rule number 2.
Hope this helps someone somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back