Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a variable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comet304

Programmer
Jun 1, 2004
US
I have a variable set up called company. The field is 60 positions long and I need the last 8 positions. I have wset up the function as =SubStr(Trim(<Partid>) ,-8 ,8) but all I ever get is the first 8 not the last 8. What am I doing wrong?

What is the Right function and how do I use it. Thanks for your help so far.

Right(string,no. of chars)
eg.

Right("Business Objects", 7) will be "Objects

I hate to pick on you, but.....

The Right function is covered very clearly in the most basic of training classes. It also very clearly documented in the online help. If you had just tried it, you'd have had not trouble at all making it work.

The purpose of forums like this is not to provide you with the most detailed of answers, nor is it here to prevent you from studying. Our purpose is to point you in the right direction. You still have to put forth some effort to solve your problem.

In this case, it's not a big deal. But, if you are going to master this software, you better start reading and experimenting.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Unfortunatly the perosn responsible for BO reporting was let go due to outsourcing and there is no money for training and we have no books in house to look into. So I am doing my best by experimenting but it is very frustrating.

How about using Business Objects Getting Started pdf?

Suggestion: will show you some books that you might find interesting that will help you get up to speed much faster.

Also the forum there is much more active than this one. It might give you much more information.

I like this forum, but it has gotten very quiet here over the last few months.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back