Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a UPS to shutdown Windows 98 properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squarry

Technical User
May 6, 2002
AU
I have just bought a Powercom UPS that came with UPMON software, and am using Win98, it was my understanding that the software/UPS could with the serial cable that came with it, it could shutdown windows by itself, without having the blue screen/scandisk come up on power being restored. I can't seem to get that to happen, is this possible? Do I need to execute some batch program to exit any open programs, is this difficult as some of the programs are DOS based? Any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated...

Hi

If you go into Control Panel, Under Power Management you should see an option (not sure which tab) for an action when running on batteries. Set this to shutdown.

Hope this helps

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

TSSTechie
I wish it was that simple! There is no option to run the machine to run on batteries, it would seem that the software is not talking with Win98 at all...
Thanks

Squarry;
First of all, the PC hardware MUST be Soft-Shutdown capable for the UPS to be able to shut it down when low-battery is dictated. In other words, for you to see a true benefit of the UPS, your PC must be able to shutdown and turn off itself when you click Start, Run, Shutdown (Not just powering down the OS).

2nd, make sure the system is communicating with the UPS by checking for the UPS's icon on the right hand corner of your task bar or from the screen saver tab of the display properties.

3rd, take some time to re-examin any available documentation. The answer to the mistery might be in between the lines. A visit to the manufacturer's websit will also be helpful, as every vendor have their unique configuration guidlines.

From my experiece with APC's PowerChute Shutdown, the software should be able to execute the shutdown on its own without further configuration other than basic install. The more advanced version for network servers, has a user-configurable options to run any commands or set number of minutes to wait before initiating a shutdown.

goodluck

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Experience is the Best Teacher
But its' cost is Heavy!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know this is dated but have just gone through the same thing myself, Powercom/W98. Hope this might help others.

I've found that if you have power management set to go into sleep mode, auto shut down will not work correctly if computer is in sleep mode at scheduled time.

For auto start to work, in the BIOS you need to set BIOS to start up comptuer after power failure (remove power via UPS). If set to stay off, UPS will come on line but not the computer. While this will permit the computer to power up at scheduled time, there can be problems with computer IF there are any problems with UPS powering up cleanly. Had a problem this AM due to this and found the BIOS got screwed up. Had to go in a restore BIOS to safe defaults. After all fixed I notice in the UPSmon util, voltage was up several V more than I've seen prior and also noted load level on the UPS was up 12-15%, 42% Vs <30% prior. Is this real or something happened to equipment because of faulty startup of UPS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back