Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbertram

MIS
Aug 30, 2007
US
Hi here is my question. I need help to setup a trust between two domains. Right now I have about 90 PCs going to one domain lets call it abc.com(server 2000). I just setup a new DC and it has the domain name of let’s call it 123.com(server 2003 64 bit).

The plan is to setup a trust, once the trust works then I want to move machines from the old domain which is abc.com to the new one which is 123.com. Then when all the PCs have been moved to 123.com I want to shut down the old DC and the abc.com domain and wipe that DC clean. What steps do I take to get these domains to trust each other?
Thanks

will adsiedit.msc hurt this server. The reason i ask is it is 7 years old we have no PDC and if i kill this server i kill the network and i might as well quite because my boss will kill me. He protects this dying server like it is one of his kids

no adsiedit is merely the "real" active directory. All consoles you use for AD administration actually write back to the data in this one console.

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

You can install the Win2003 SP1 support tools on a desktop or laptop and run it from there btw, if youre really worried.

-Brandon Wilson
A+

I know i sound like a wimp but i am not going to even mess with that old dying server. I am worried even to do this trust thing. One question thou is there any BDC in server 2003 domains or is it just one server and nothing else. If i have more questions can i contact you, maybe even directly?
thanks
Steve

The PDC/BDC model is old. You do still have a PDC emulator, but his function is different than that of in NT4. WHat you ahve in AD are called replica DCs.

Brandon underscore Wilson Sr at hotmail

take out the spaces, change the word underscore to the character....

-Brandon Wilson
A+

what is the best practice to have redundace in a server 2003 domain. Should i have another box with server 2003 on it ready to go or what do you do?
thanks

Best practice is 2 DCs per site, both made GCs.

-Brandon Wilson
A+

ok once i get this DC up and running i will talk to my boss and see if there is money to get a box for a second DC.
Have you install server 2003 64 for a DC? Have you seen any issues with a 64 bit DC and 32 bit clients?
Thanks
Steve

Yes Ive rolled literally 100s of 64 bit DCs out. There should be no compatibility issues with clients.

-Brandon Wilson
A+

cool that is what our DC is so glad to hear it
thanks
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor